Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Week to "Die" For Day 2: Big Bang Confetti Cheers! {Winnie & Walter}


It's a two-post kind of day! Click here for the MFT Challenge Blog Sketch #217

It's Day 2 of the Cutaways feature week (a week to die for!!) at Winnie & Walter! Today we're showcasing the die sets,  Essentials: Katharine Cutaways, and the In A Word: Cutaways


This is the first card I created when I received my stash of dies from Winnie & Walter. It just magically came together - don't you love it when that happens? I diecut the Cheers sentiment (seriously, I'm obsessed with the In A Word dies - they are per.fec.tion!) and the Big Bang Confetti shapes. 
It can be challenging to pull together a bunch of little confetti shapes to create one cohesive card, but when it happens, it's fantastic. (And confetti is so trendy right now!!)

There are a few things I think about when creating a card like this:
1. Stick to just a few colors. Part of what makes this card POP are the three colors (silver, black, and fuchsia) on a clean white background. Keep your palette simple.

2. Triangles. Triangles. Triangles. Creating a visual triangle moves the eye around the image. If it's done well, it's so subtle that you don't even realize it's happening. On this card I have three larger fuchsia focal points, that form a visual triangle. And I have three black dots which, if connected, would create a triangle. The tiny bits of black help to connect to the sentiment, and it ties the whole thing together.

The art major in me, always loves a project that demonstrates a design principle! Think about this idea on other projects too - scrapbook layouts, home decor. It holds artistic truth, people!

Please stop on over to the Winnie & Walter blog for SO much inspiration! Thank you for stopping by today, my friends! Tomorrow, let's do it again, okay!? xoxo

5 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

Thanks for the tips on how to create an effective clean and simple card. I suck at them but I like the idea of that visual triangle. This card is just a party on card stock.

Becca Cruger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jingle said...

I love this! Great colors and super fun design!

Winnie & Walter said...

Your card shows your eye for art and design! Bold, striking and oh so easy on the eyes. :-) We are so thrilled to have you joining us this week!

TracyM #6773 said...

SERIOUSLY AWESOME card Laura!!!
LOVE the font of the word die and color combo, your falling confetti looks FABULOUS too!!!